Monday, April 15, 2013

Day 13: SUNDAY and Mikey's Epic Walk
"A walk?  Sure! I love walks!"
Mikey had no idea what he was getting himself into on Sunday.  It was a beautiful day, so we set off on a nice long walk.  It turned into three and half hours!  (One robert at about 3:20, one moses at about 4:15.)  Countless people commented.  "So pretty!"  "What kind of dog is that?"  "How old is he?"  Mikey was great with a couple of little kids who came up to him-- including a toddling baby!

We had a great time!  But that was WAY too long a walk-- even for me.  Poor Mikey!  We won't do that again.  Smaller, shorter walks, with nice breaks in between.

But Mikey did get to visit the statue of Henry Ward Beecher at Plymouth Church in Brooklyn.  (For more information about why Henry Ward Beecher is important, you can listen to my podcast about The Underground Railroad in New York City: http://abcgotham.podbean.com/2013/02/08/underground-railroad-in-nyc/)



He didn't really rest at any point,either. Even when I sat on a bench in a park, he stood at attention, on all fours.  Sitting seems uncomfortable to him, but I guess I thought he might lie down if he needed a break.  But no, he didn't.  I suppose that makes sense since he only had brick or concrete to lie on. In addition,  I didn't find any stores with a nice bowl of water out in front for tired dogs like Mikey.  Poor guy.

I figured by the time we dragged ourselves home around 6:30 pm, he'd have some dinner and then pass out the rest of the night.  I was wrong!  He was oddly energized!  He ate all his dinner (but I gave him wet food only; I left the kibble out because I felt bad for taking him on such a long long walk). Scott and I left to go grocery shopping and returned around 8 to find... a puddle of robert on the floor. Oh maaaan.


But it all ended up okay. We got everything cleaned up and had dinner and relaxed.  Mikey slept outside the crate for the first time Sunday night.

No comments:

Post a Comment