Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Day 16: Mikey's Secret Speediness
Here comes the speed demon!
Today I was able to ask Mikey's dog walker a few questions. I learned something that surprised me quite a lot: Mikey breaks out the SPEED on his walks!

Apparently when Mikey is in a big pack of dogs-- 4 or more, including him-- he doesn't sniff and walk slowly. He walks quickly, keeping up with the pack! I was astonished to learn this! I was very worried that he would not be able to do pack walks, because of his typical methodical pace and his love of sniffing everything he sees. I worried he would cause discord, with some dogs rushing ahead while Mikey was lingering behind.  But the opposite happens! Mikey rises to the occasion and matches pace with his packmates!

zoooooom
However, if it's just Mikey, or if it's a smaller pack (like Mikey plus only 1 or 2 other dogs), then he returns to his leisurely pace and resumes sniffing every sniff-able object in the universe.  Very strange.

The dog walker's suggestion: get more dogs!  And she's right!  If I had 3 more dogs, Mikey would be fine on his walks.  But THAT's not going to happen as long as I live in this small 1- bedroom apartment!

(For the record: morning walk, robert only.  Then he ate less than half his breakfast, but he definitely likes the new Chicken and Sweet Potato flavor wet food. Afternoon walk: both robert and moses!!)

I bought the small size in case he disliked it.  But next time I'm getting the large!

2 comments:

  1. Hi Kathleen! It's Trish from the Shiba forum. I want to express again how much I enjoy reading Mikey's blog. I look forward to his daily post so much that I even check at work! Keep up the great work and just know that Mikey has fans out there :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for the wonderful compliments, Trish! Knowing you're an interested reader, waiting for the posts, makes all the work worth it. I'll tell Mikey he has fans. Thanks again!!

    ReplyDelete