Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Day 15: Mikey: Sitting Extortionist
(wink)
Mikey has "sit" down cold.  He knows it SO WELL.  He's still not fast, but he always does sit.  I've even been working on "sit!" with my back to him, or behind him, or without a treat in my hand, and he still does a good "sit"!  (Eventually.)

Recently Scott was in charge of the post- work walk and dinner.  Apparently, when Scott was making Mikey's dinner, Mikey hung out in the kitchen.  Every time Scott looked at him, Mikey would sit!  Then, as Scott carried the bowls of food and water out for Mikey, Mikey preceded him, walking backwards, doing "sit" over and over!  He must have been very hungry.  It sounded like it was so cute.

But recently I learned Mikey has been using the power of "sit" for evil, not just for good.  
Evil Mikey.
It's true.  Mikey has been using "sit", combined with his cute face, to coerce treats from unsuspecting people!  He's an extortionist!

Here's the thing:  I trained Mikey to respond to my "sit!" commend by sitting, whereupon he would get a treat and a "gooood siiit!"  But if he sits at a time that I didn't command it, he'll get a "gooood siiit!" but no treat.  Treats only come when I ask for the sit.  I trained HIM; he didn't train ME.  I'm not just some sit- activated treat machine!

Then his dog walker told me about how much Mikey likes to sit, but then when she gives him a treat, all the other dogs want a treat too, and then she runs out of treats! I couldn't believe it: MIKEY TRAINED HIS DOG WALKER!

I laughed and told her she doesn't have to give him a treat when he sits, unless she ASKED him to sit.  She was quite relieved!

Extortion is a serious offense, but I can only hope we caught Mikey early in his life of crime.  Maybe he can turn himself around and become a productive member of society, and leave behind his criminal past.

No comments:

Post a Comment